Saturday, May 3, 2008

provision

One of my biggest concerns in travelling to Atlanta for surgery was the cost. And even more disconcerting was the fact that nobody could really tell me how much it would cost ahead of time, because they couldn't tell how extensive the disease was until they cut me open. Another variable in all of this was that the surgeon was out-of-network for my insurance company.

Apparently my disease was much more severe than anticipated--the surgeon's bill alone was nearly 3 times the high end of what they told me to expect. I've been keeping a running total of all the bills I've been getting (from the hospital, surgeon, etc), and all totalled, it came to a whopping $50,000.

I'm glad I didn't know that price tag going into the procedure. I don't know if it would have deterred me--I don't think it would have. The surgery needed to be done. Even if I'm paying for it the rest of my life, it was worth it to receive the extremely high level of care that I did in Atlanta.

So, anyway, I got a statement from my insurance company today, saying that they had covered the entire cost of the hospital (nearly $20,000)! Praise God!! Now, I'm just waiting to see what the insurance company decides about the remaining costs. I'm hopeful that the statement I got today is indicative of how they will handle the remaining $30K! :-)

No comments: